Monday, January 9, 2012

Turnips - God's food vs. Man-made "food"

A co-worker plants turnips on his land for the deer. Deer season is over, so he brought me turnips that the deer didn't eat. I got so excited pulling them out of the sack. They were fresh out of the ground and dirty.
They smelled fresh & dirty. I used to would not touch food that had dirt on it,  but now I cherish it. It reminds me that it is food that God made. The food that God put on the earth to nourish our bodies. It took me over 45 years to realize that the more of God's food that we eat, the healthier we are and the better we feel. It makes sense, because God created our bodies and He created the food that we need to keep our bodies healthy. Man-made "food" destroys our bodies. It really is as simple as that. So these days if I don't get all the dirt washed off my veggies and fruits, I don't panic. (Unless purchased in grocery store, then I make sure I wash extra extra good because they are probably full of pesticides.) I am so blessed to have friends that have beautiful gardens & share with me. I also try to buy organic when I can at the store.

I sliced up those gorgeous turnips, drizzled olive oil all over them & sprinled with salt & pepper & roasted in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes. So satisfying & delicious.
You just don't get that kind of satisfaction from a fast food place or a box. Wishing you all a happy, healthy & prosperous 2012.

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment