Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TURKEY SAUSAGE VEGGIE SOUP

My son's wedding is just a little over a month away & I am still not happy with my belly. The rest of my body is looking better, but that belly just refuses to budge! I tried cutting out all breads & grains and all that did was make my blood sugar drop too low and make me dizzy and light headed. Years ago, I tried the Cabbage Soup Diet. I love cabbage, so I actually liked it, but got bored with it after a few days. I have learned that my body needs lots of protein. So, I made up my own version of Cabbage Soup with a little turkey sausage and beans thrown in for protein. I'm hoping that after eating this soup for lunch a few times a week, my belly will be gone... or at least noticeably smaller.

HEALTHY TURKEY SAUSAGE VEGGIE SOUP

1 head cabbage, chopped
1 bag frozen okra
2 cups frozen corn
1 onion, chopped
2 tsps Garlic salt
2 tsps McCormick Hot Shot
2 tsps minced garlic
1-2 jalapenos, chopped (optional)
½ pkg of Turkey Smoked Sausage, chopped
1-2 cans Ranch Style Beans or any beans
2 small or 1 large can All Natural low sodium chicken broth
1-2 cans Rotel tomatoes
1 small can Hunt’s tomato paste
2 – 8 oz cans Hunt’s tomato sauce

In crockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add chicken broth, tomato paste, Rotel tomatoes & tomato sauce. Add water using your cans if you want. It all depends on how much liquid you want.

Add remaining ingredients, place lid on pot & let cook about 30 minutes. Or can turn on low & simmer for a few hours.

NOTE:  This is the basic recipe. You can add to or take away according to your taste. I also like to add chopped zucchini when available. I had about 1 cup of taco meat leftover that needed to be used, so I tossed that in as well.

You can add a bag of whole grain pasta or serve over a bowl of brown rice.
Super healthy & loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, fiber & protein.

*** I SPECIFICALLY USE HUNT’S PRODUCTS BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL NATURAL AND HAVE NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP OR ADDED SUGAR.
Check the labels on the other tomato products & you will see either corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar. Del Monte does have “Organic Tomato sauce”, but it is more expensive than the ones with the corn syrup & sugar in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment