First step was NO Bisquick. Then had to replace the brown sugar for a more nutritious option. I've posted several recipes using coconut palm sugar. My family loves it! And it is a good feeling to know that I am feeding them a sweet treat that is actually nutritious and not going to harm them. Coconut sugar has a low glycemic index so it is safe for diabetics. It is high in several minerals including potassium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Here is a link to a couple of good articles on coconut sugar. http://www.naturalnews.com/030120_coconut_sugar_sweetener.html
WHOLE GRAIN PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
1 - 15 1/4 ounce can crushed or sliced pineapple, drained
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup organic coconut palm sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pineapple juice (from the crushed pineapple)
1 cup organic oat flour
1/2 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch round baking pan; heat in oven until melted. Remove pan from oven and tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter.
2. Mix coconut sugar, nutmeg & cinnamon together and sprinkle onto bottom of buttered pan.
3. Spread pineapple over sugar mixture.
4. For batter - in a large bowl, beat butter and coconut sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and pineapple juice.
5. In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder and salt together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. I do it in thirds.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
I put 4 maraschino cherries on the cake for Kevin. He loves them, but he doesn't get them very often anymore. Now that we know about HFCS and red dye! Scary!
I know I don't take good pictures. Sorry. You can tell it doesn't look like your traditional pineapple upside down cake which is yellow or white. We have to get past that idea that white food is pretty. Most white food is not healthy. Whole grains have color and texture.
|Pineapple upside down cake|
You can replace one of the flours for white flour if you don't like the texture of whole grain flours. But, please, use organic unbleached white flour. At least it isn't loaded with chemicals like regular flour.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband did!
Blessings to you all,