Tuesday, June 5, 2012

OAT WHEAT PANCAKES

One of the things that I have missed most by not eating white flour is pancakes. I didn't eat them very often, but every once in awhile, I would crave pancakes. I have tried unsuccessfully several times in the past year to make healthy pancakes that were good enough that you didn't miss the white flour. Until a couple of weeks ago when I came up with this recipe. These pancakes were delicious! My husband even liked them.

As you know, typical pancakes are a nightmare for diabetics or anyone with any type of inflammatory disease. All that white flour combined with the high fructose corn syrup, which is all most pancake syrups are, instantly makes your blood sugar skyrocket and creates inflammation in your body.

But, these pancakes will not raise your blood sugar and do not create inflammation in the body. Plus, since they are whole grain they also have fiber. Eaten with honey or Agave syrup is yummy sweetness without spiking your blood sugar.

FYI - Agave is a natural sweetener with a low glycemic index, so it is safe for diabetics or anyone trying to limit their sugar intake. I love the "Ohgave Amaretto Maple Flavor Agave Syrup".




So, for Father's Day, if you have a special Dad in your life that loves pancakes, but has to watch his blood sugar or just wants to eat healthier, make these for him. All of the sweetness, but none of the sickness, pain or guilt.


 I'm working on another Father's Day recipe, but haven't got it perfected yet. My husband loves eggs, omelets & quiche. So he still has to eat a few more samples before I'm ready to share the final product. I will hopefully have that for you in a few days.
 

Thank you for reading. I appreciate the ones that have shared their ideas & recipes with me.
I love sharing recipes and healthy information with people. We are all in this together until God calls us
home.


Blessings to all,

Lori 

OAT WHEAT PANCAKES
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup oat flour
2 tbsp sucanat or brown sugar or honey
2 tsps baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ cups buttermilk
3 tbsps oil (I used coconut oil)
1)               In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2)               In another bowl, combine egg, milk & oil. 
3)               Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Batter should be slightly lumpy.
4)               Scoop onto hot griddle coated with cooking spray. I
5)               Pancakes are ready to flip over when the top side has little bubbles on it.
6)               Spread butter on hot pancakes and serve with pure maple syrup, honey or Agave syrup. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment