Wednesday, June 13, 2012

TURKEY SAUSAGE & POTATO CASSEROLE

It's almost Father's Day! My Dad passed away in 2002 and I still miss him everyday. I am so thankful that God blessed with me with a husband that I can be proud of. He is a country boy & a junk collector, but he is honest, dependable, hard working, loyal, trustworthy, hard working,.... did I say hard working? And a Godly man. He is a great example to our sons. A few of my husband's favorite things are potatoes, Ro Tel tomatoes, eggs & cheese.  So anytime I cook all of those things together in one dish, he is a happy man.

A friend that I used to work with shared her breakfast enchilada recipe with me several years ago and I make it regularly. It is delicious. I will share that recipe in the next post. There are possibly millions of breakfast casserole recipes. Everybody does it just a little bit different. Food Network Magazine had a "Potato Crusted Quiche" that looked like something my husband would like, so I made that a few weeks ago. He liked it, but it didn't have enough kick for him. It was meatless & basically just eggs, potatoes & cheese. But the potatoes made such a pretty presentation that I wanted to play with it some more.

Of course, I wanted to increase the nutritional value, so I added tomatoes, onions, spinach & zucchini. Then I added turkey sausage for extra flavor without the bad fat, and added one of the best fats that everyone should be eating, coconut oil.

This recipe is a little more time consuming because of lining your pan with the potatoes to make a crust, but it's Father's Day. They deserve something a little extra special. And FYI - this dish is husband, teenager and co-workers approved. I hope you enjoy!

NOTE: This can be prepared and served immediately or assembled the night before and baked the next day.


TURKEY SAUSAGE & POTATO CASSEROLE

6-8 red potatoes or 3-4 russet potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper (I use McCormick Hot Shot)

1 pound turkey sausage
few tbsps coconut oil or olive oil
potatoes (I added parsley & Basil)
1 small zucchini, chopped
Handful fresh spinach, chopped
½ lg or 1 small onion, chopped
1 can Ro Tel tomatoes, drained

6 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tbsp flour

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel & slice potatoes into circles.  Line cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spread potatoes on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Drizzle olive oil over potatoes. Bake in 400 degree oven for 12 minutes.  Potatoes should be soft, but still firm. You need to be able to pick them up with your hands & place them in your pan.

sausage & veggies
TURN OVEN DOWN TO 350 degrees.

Get oil hot in skillet then add turkey sausage, zucchini, onion, & spinach. Cook until sausage is done and veggies are tender. Add Ro Tel tomatoes and stir into sausage mixture.

Beat eggs, milk & flour together.

Place potatoes on bottom and sides of greased or buttered 13x9 pan. Remember the potatoes are your crust.

Spread sausage mixture over potatoes. Then pour egg mixture over sausage. Top with cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese).

Ready to eat
Fresh from oven
Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until eggs are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment