Monday, June 25, 2012

SUPER HEALTHY BROWNIES & THE EVILS OF WHITE FLOUR

My baby boy turned 17 last week. His favorite food is brownies. He also likes chocolate pudding. The last couple of years I have made him a trifle layered with brownies, chocolate pudding and crushed Butterfinger candy bars. (That recipe was shared with me by my friend, Stacy) Of course, I had to try to healthy it up a bit, so I made chocolate pudding using almond milk and Ideal. I also made 2 different recipes of brownies, both without white flour or sugar. Both were pretty good.

You guys are probably getting tired of my rantings about the evils of white flour and sugar, but I am absolutely convinced that they are the main causes of so many diseases today. I looked up the glycemic index of white flour and saw that it is the same as sugar. People need to be aware that eating white flour is the SAME as eating sugar. It turns to sugar in your body. It is so heavily processed there is nothing to digest, so it hits your bloodstream immediately and causes your blood sugar to spike. It also creates inflammation in your body. For anyone with arthritis, lupus, MS, etc. INFLAMMATION = PAIN.

I also have good reason to believe that white flour and sugar cause cellulite. I never thought about it until after eating anti inflammatory for about 6 months and I noticed that my cellulite was going away. I have only lost 40 pounds and have come to a standstill on weight loss (I am down 2-3 sizes). I am still overweight, but I am amazed at the reduction in cellulite. I've copied a couple of links to some articles on white flour that agree with my theory.

http://www.shapemag.co.za/health-nutrition/fight-cellulite-at-every-meal/

http://thediabetesclub.com/nutrition-in-bread-the-problems-with-enriched-white-flour/

So, on to the recipes. I had heard of black bean brownies, but I do NOT like black beans, so I was hesitant to try them. I wish I liked black beans. They are a superfood! Loaded with fiber, protein, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. So, now I found a way to eat black beans without my taste buds knowing I'm eating them. I know it sounds really weird, but you will be surprised at how good they are. Of course, the texture is a little different, kind of like eating a protein bar or other healthy bar, but these brownies are super low calorie, NO sugar, high in fiber and just really really really good for you. And they are chocolate!

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil (or 3 tbsp vegetable oil)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup Stevia or Ideal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp peanut butter (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture into greased baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes or until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of pan.

Now, in case you like frosting on your brownies, I found this recipe on another blog, but I can't remember which one it was. (DISCLAIMER: this is NOT my original recipe) I did not have avocados so I haven't made it yet, but it sounds delicious and really healthy. I think it would be delicious on the brownies. 

AVOCADO FUDGE SPREAD
2 avocados 
1/4 cup Agave or honey
3 tbsp cocoa powder

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

Thank you for reading. Blessings and good health to all of you.

Lori 



No comments:

Post a Comment